The Math Forum

Topic: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Replies: 69   Last Post: Apr 6, 2012 9:58 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash

On Sep 13, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Ed Laughbaum wrote:

> BASIC BRAIN FUNCTION is the same in all normal brains (exceptions
> are those under the influence of some drugs, some mental disorders,
> and limited brain damage). Every brain uses associations to store
> and recall stuff we have learned. Every brain operates primarily
> through generalizing patterns over reasoning. Every brain uses
> contextual understandings. Etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed
> PS: Yes, I know I have said this all before. But then my brain
> learned through my math education that all I need do is repeat
> something over and over until it is learned. :-(

One can learn to drive a car from the knowledge of how it is designed
and constructed but this does not seem to be necessary.

On the other hand, it seems necessary to make the learner aware of
why "this" forces "that". For instance, if you drive above a certain
speed on a curve, braking is not necessarily going to have the effect
you expect because it is likely to send you into a spin. The way I
learned this was being forced by my racing instructor to do just
that: brake in a curve that I entered to fast.

How to create that awareness is what the question is. I hold that
lecturing won't do it but that a text has to be constructed with the
creation of that awareness in mind---as well as allowing the
exponential character of learning.

Regards
--schremmer

P.S. Yes, I know I have said this all before. But then my brain
learned through my long years in the teaching racket that no matter
how many times I repeat something to my colleagues, they will just
ignore it.

Date Subject Author
8/20/11
Read Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Susan
9/6/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Petrak, Daniel G.
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Guy Brandenburg
9/6/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Lynne Ipina
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Guy Brandenburg
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
9/12/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/12/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
R. Wright
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/7/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Petrak, Daniel G.
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Revathi Narasimhan
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Kathleen Almy
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/8/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash >and an
alternative
RotmanJ
9/8/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash >and an
alternative
Norman Wildberger
[...]
9/14/11
[...]
Registrar@mathsense.org
9/15/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Domenico Rosa
9/16/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/16/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/17/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/19/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/19/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/15/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Guy Brandenburg
9/14/11
Read new math, new physics: Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Guy Brandenburg
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Wayne Mackey
4/6/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Mark Riggs
4/6/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral >dif-EQ
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/8/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Nicholson
9/9/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Nicholson
10/17/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
1/10/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/10/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Tapper
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/12/12
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
RotmanJ
1/12/12
Read Re: RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/18/12