The Math Forum

Topic: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Replies: 69   Last Post: Apr 6, 2012 9:58 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash

On Sep 13, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Kathleen Almy wrote:

>> With all due respect, I disagree. This is not to say
>> that there are
>> not, here and there, faculty willing to look at their
>> students and
>> look at mathematics and try to get the former to like
>> the latter.
>>
>> But should you be one of these few, and assuming that
>> you have tenure
>> and belong to a strong union and that your school
>> will let you be
>> "different"---a very big if, what text are you going
>> to use? There
>> is. by now, literally nothing left that you could
>> use: it's all
>> Pearson books. (If you know of anything, please let
>> me know so that I
>> can stop my own writing.)
>>
>> Mournful regards
>> --schremmer

> I am fortunate to have tenure, a strong union, and the opportunity
> to try a new type of course so yes, that does help quite a bit.
> You are correct that there isn't a book for this type of course
> since most texts are for traditional algebra courses. I didn't
> want to cut and paste something together. I wanted a text with the
> approach we were trying to embody start to finish. So we're
> writing the materials ourselves. Similarly, there are other
> faculty in the U.S. who have done and are doing the same to
> accomplish their pilot projects. For these reasons, I am hopeful.
> But then again, I always am.
>
> Kathleen Almy

I did say that "there are, here and there, faculty willing to look at
their
students and look at mathematics and try to get the former to like
the latter."

But the stark reality is that we are hopelessly outnumbered.

Regards
--schremmer

Date Subject Author
8/20/11
Read Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Susan
9/6/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Petrak, Daniel G.
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Guy Brandenburg
9/6/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Lynne Ipina
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Guy Brandenburg
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
9/12/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/12/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
R. Wright
9/6/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/7/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Petrak, Daniel G.
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Revathi Narasimhan
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Kathleen Almy
9/7/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/8/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash >and an
alternative
RotmanJ
9/8/11
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash >and an
alternative
Norman Wildberger
[...]
9/14/11
[...]
Registrar@mathsense.org
9/15/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Domenico Rosa
9/16/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/16/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/17/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/19/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/19/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/15/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Guy Brandenburg
9/14/11
Read new math, new physics: Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Guy Brandenburg
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Alain Schremmer
9/13/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral > backlash
Wayne Mackey
4/6/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Mark Riggs
4/6/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral >dif-EQ
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
9/8/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Nicholson
9/9/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Nicholson
10/17/11
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Domenico Rosa
1/10/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/10/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/11/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
John Tapper
1/12/12
Read Re: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
Alain Schremmer
1/12/12
Read RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
RotmanJ
1/12/12
Read Re: RE: Khan Academy: Math instruction goes viral
DanP
1/18/12