Topic: Dolciani and SMSG
Replies: 14   Last Post: Sep 18, 2011 6:08 PM

Adam Stinchcombe

RE: Dolciani and SMSG

I was wondering what was formal and what was abstract with the Dolciani series. I studied Algebra III and Trig with such a book and didn't find it (a) abstract, (b) formal, (c) torture, nor (d) new math. I did get some "new math" in grade school, functions, relations, correspondences, stuff like that, and didn't retain much of it back then.

Of course, *Dom* usually only offers incendiary posts with little dialogue.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-mathedcc@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Beth Hentges
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:26 PM
To: mathedcc@mathforum.org
Subject: Dolciani and SMSG

Well, I started Kindergarten in 1968, and by the time I was in Jr. High and H.S. I used the Dolciani books mentioned. It was not torture. In fact, I thrived--as did my class mates.

We can argue about whether or not the books were good, but the SMSG and "new math" were successful. We beat the Russians to the moon. These books may not have been targeted for the general audience, though they came to be over the years.

(The fact that the US is dependent on the Russians now just to go to the ISS was caused, in my opinion, by political decisions, not technical ones.)

Beth in MN