Topic: Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)

Replies: 35   Last Post: Oct 24, 2011 9:59 PM

Roberta M. Eisenberg

Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)

att1.html (7.4 K)

We can expect the students to get the answer correctly because we teach them the correct method. We also explain that things in books are not always correct and why (author error, editing, etc).

Calculators have to be "taught" how to do calculations. Cheaper or older and simpler calculators were not always programmed to do div and mult left to right ( and after that + and ? left to right. We should teach the students this too.

Bobbi E.

On Sep 15, 2011, at 12:42 AM, msedfun@aol.com wrote:

> I have just one comment to make on this. If the teachers are debating what the answer is and how it is arrived at, and two different answers were obtained on calculators, how can we possibly expect the students to generate the correct answer?
>
> Tzippy:)

Date Subject Author
9/9/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
JFish@csufsd.org
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tennantij@aol.com
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
MathCaryl@aol.com
9/10/11
Read Pre - GED Request
Robert Orchanian
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tennantij@aol.com
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
Roberta M. Eisenberg
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
loretta boyce
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
ElizWaite@aol.com
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for Tzippy)
Evan Romer
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Sharon
9/11/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
ElizWaite@aol.com
9/11/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Sharon
9/11/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tennantij@aol.com
9/13/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
gWilkie@highlands.com
9/13/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
Guest
9/14/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for Tzippy)
Gary Furman
9/14/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
loretta boyce
9/14/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
ezseller@mail.nasboces.org
9/15/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
CHaynes@cattlv.wnyric.org
9/14/11
Read RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
Putnick@siena.edu
9/14/11
Read RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
Susana Davidenko
9/15/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Sharon
9/15/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
Roberta M. Eisenberg
9/15/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tennantij@aol.com
9/17/11
Read RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
bill wickes
9/17/11
Read Re: RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
steven arnofsky
9/14/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tom Kenyon
9/14/11
Read RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
Kathleen_Curtis@pittsford.monroe.edu
10/23/11
Read Question about Singapore Math
terry goldfischer
10/23/11
Read RE: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)
terry goldfischer
10/23/11
Read Re: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)
William McQuay
10/24/11
Read Re: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)
Sharon
10/24/11
Read RE: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)
Meg Clemens
10/24/11
Read Question about Math 3-8 tests
peter mechalke