Topic: Dolciani and SMSG
Replies: 14   Last Post: Sep 18, 2011 6:08 PM

Domenico Rosa

Re: Dolciani and SMSG

Even if it could be done, comparing "one lesson" would be a completely useless exercise. There is no substitute for actually examining and comparing books side by side, as I have done. For example, if you will actually compare the Euclidean Geometry books that I discussed at the link below, you will find that:

1. My high school textbook contains a 10-page introduction to basic notions and postulates. The next 11 pages cover various constructions and axioms. Congruent triangles and proofs start on page 29.

2. The Jurgensen-Dolciani book forced students to plow
through a 190-page quagmire before congruent triangles come up.

The power of the written word is eternal, and no amount of sophistry--and no amount of flimflam on your part--can deny the fact that the Dolciani series demolished the traditional college preparatory mathematics curriculum in the U.S.