Topic: Dolciani and SMSG
Replies: 14   Last Post: Sep 18, 2011 6:08 PM

Guy Brandenburg

Re: Dolciani and SMSG
att1.html (5.7 K)

That's what I'm asking you to do: examine and compare several books side by side -- but not just the table of contents. A particular topic or lesson, how are they treated by the various authors or committees?
Obviously, there are textbooks that suck, and there are ones that are OK, and there are particular ones that have their very loud fans.
What I am asking you to do is not sophistry. It's simply to make a careful comparison between several books and to report what you find.

Otherwise, you are doing stupid stuff like what I'm about to do: report where in each book the topic of congruent triangles comes up, specifically, the congruent triangle theorems and postulates:

A. Euclid, "The elements", ~200 BC? -- not really ever, nothing like what we teach today. (I disagree about proposition 5, btw)
B. Descartes, "Geometrie", 1600's -- not at all
C. Prenowitz & Jordan, "Basic Concepts of Geometry" (college level text) 1965, congr. triangles start on p.301; text ends on p. 338 (89%)
D. Chakerian, Crabill, Stein, "Geometry: A Guided Inquiry" (1985) -- p 79 out of 527 (15%)
E. Jacobs, "Geometry", 2nd ed, 1974 and 1987 -- p 119 out of 640 (19%)
F. Jurgenson, Brown, Jurgenson, "Geometry", 1985, 1988 -- p 105 out of 588 (17%)
G. Serra, "Discovering Geometry: An Inductive Approach", 1989, p. 219 out of 694, but actual proof is deferred until about p 563 (31% or 81%, depending on how you count)

So by your metric, Euclid and Descartes are the worst and D and F are the best.

Dumb, right?

Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html