Topic: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 7, 2011 12:19 PM

kirby urner

Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Martisa Vignali
<martisavignali@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for highlighting the important role of parents in math education. What I often hear, at the family math academic support sessions I offer, is "I can't help my son or daughter with math." My idea is that they can be working on, and learning, the mathematics together, as a family, and that the parent does not have to feel uncomfortable if he or she does not know the math yet. Some parents have told me that they wanted to send their child to a tutor but my idea is that we should all work on the math together in every session, with parents and their children, working on the problems. Then their discussions will continue to focus on math, some of the time, while at home. With this synergy, the child will learn a great deal.

I'm glad you understand the problem and are working with others to resolve it.

The region I live in (Pacific Northwest America /PNA) has this sorry
legacy of turning children against their parents through a system of
forced boarding. The Anglophones saw this as their way of bringing
"civilization" to the "savages" but of course we've learned from
anthropology that this was a rather ethnocentric story.

Other narratives have supplanted those, at such places as the Warm
Springs Museum, which gives some of the history of many of the native
peoples in our region.

The devastation at Celilo Falls is now commemorated with
some real memorials.

http://lawlib.lclark.edu/blog/native_america/?p=4381

One Laptop per Child (OLPC) made some of these mistakes in its early
days, as the stereotype idea was children would take to these XOs
(laptops) like ducks to water, leaving the older generation in the
dust.

But why? Why needlessly divide families (how cruel), making
technology a tool of oppression? Clearly OLPC's architects had no
desire to destroy family networks.

Integrating XOs into the agricultural life of the community, putting
them to work as bookkeeping database engines, telecomm devices, was
important to adults as well.

Many of the XOs were wiped of Sugar (the kid friendly OS) and
repurposed with more "adult" software, but with kids doing the
repurposing, helping the extended family get in better sync with the
digital age.

http://www.olpcnews.com/software/operating_system/multiple_xo_operating_systems.html

Regarding Portland, our biggest city south of the Columbia River,
that's the site for this new family math approach that Peter remarked
(math-thinking-l) has a definite old school ring to it.

One of our teachers, Satya Vayu, was a speaker at Lewis & Clark
College the other day, explaining some of how it all works.

We had some students from the school come by and study us also. We
did some early recruiting through the Free School movement as well,
which James is still involved with (another teacher -- I need to
introduce him to Crystal).

http://graduate.lclark.edu/live/news/12903-will-work-for-change-an-activism-and-leadership

Once this older generation starts to apply math skills in earnest,
including programming, flow charting, database work, then its easier
for a younger generation to see the real world relevance. Instead of
scaring parents about chat rooms, we use them ourselves to coordinate
our real time problem solving.

http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture/browse_thread/thread/ebafa7896fd9ca74?hl=en

I was on an excursion recently to spread some of this thinking to
Minnesota. Minneapolis has a lot in common with Portland.

I combined my visit (which included a block party, a visit to a
Russian Art Museum) with a pilgrimage of sorts to visit one of the
great names in mathematics in some circles: Father Magnus Wenninger.
He might not fit your stereotype of your standard cardboard cutout
mathematician, being a priest and all, but his work is often cited
nonetheless.

It was a pleasure to spend the day with him, and with my host for this
trip, David Koski (active on the Poly list).

Another outreach effort is through a small school in Chicago.**
Mathfuture is the list to visit if you want to get more details. I'll
need to visit in person to really get a sense of that operation (I
have reason to be in that neck of the woods anyway).

Kirby

** http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture/msg/ff8d046e0d82d9ef?hl=en

Date Subject Author
9/20/11
Read Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/22/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Martisa Vignali
9/23/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/22/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
9/23/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Dave L. Renfro
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Haim
9/27/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Dave L. Renfro
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Haim
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
9/27/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Scott Gray
9/27/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Bishop, Wayne
9/27/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Haim
9/29/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
9/29/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
9/29/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/29/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
9/30/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
9/30/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
9/30/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
9/30/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
10/7/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
10/1/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
10/1/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
10/2/11