Topic: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 7, 2011 12:19 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)

Kirby Urner posted Sep 27, 2011 8:50 AM:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Haim
> <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
>
> << snip >>
>

> > Kirby, I mean no disrespect, but whatever value
> there
> > may be to your "digital math", it cannot substitute
> for
> > the calculus which is rightly viewed as one of the
> great
> > achievements of Western Civilization.
> >

> Many of your concerns seem somewhat tangential to
> mine, or shall we

<SNIP>

> I have not met Uhl personally. I do know more of
> Scott Gray's story, plus he's blogged about it here:
>
> http://www.makemath.com/community.html
>
> Basically: what was passing for "knowing calculus"
> in the USA didn't
> cut it in Russia, and this was apparently (by his
> analysis) because
> the requirement for oral exams elicited a different
> quality of
> comprehension in students.

Thanks, Kirby, for that reference to Scott Gray's work and the origins of Make Math.

I have not studied Scott Gray's work in detail and I do not yet know enough about "Make Math" to comment authoritatively in any way, but I do believe anyone who cares to read that blog would learn enough to put Wayne Bishop's dismissive comment (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7577559&tstart=0) where it belongs - in the rubbish bin.

GSC
Let's get some shovels ready (for those things that really deserve shovels to bury them)!

Date Subject Author
9/20/11
Read Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/22/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Martisa Vignali
9/23/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/22/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
9/23/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Dave L. Renfro
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Haim
9/27/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Dave L. Renfro
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Haim
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/26/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
9/27/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Scott Gray
9/27/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Bishop, Wayne
9/27/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Haim
9/29/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
9/29/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
9/29/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
9/29/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
9/30/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
9/30/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
9/30/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
9/30/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
kirby urner
10/7/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
10/1/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
GS Chandy
10/1/11
Read Re: Continuing Education for Math Teachers (gnu math)
Robert Hansen
10/2/11