The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: Is there a name for this notation?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 9, 2011 9:17 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Steven D'Aprano

Posts: 21
Registered: 3/22/11
Is there a name for this notation?
Posted: Oct 8, 2011 2:08 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Long ago, I came across a book that mentioned a particular notation for
writing numbers in terms of sums of powers of some base, but *not* in the
conventional form.

For example, using 2 as the base and comparing to decimal:

1 = 2^0 => "0"
2 = 2^1 => "1"
3 = 2^1 + 2^0 => "10"
4 = 2^2 => "2"
5 = 2^2 + 2^0 => "20"
6 = 2^2 + 2^1 => "21"

and so forth. Obviously there is no way of writing zero, and the order of
the digits is arbitrary: I could have written either "12" or "21" for
decimal 6.

Unfortunately I have forgotten all details about this except the basic
notation, including the name of the book.

Is there a name for this notation, is it useful for anything, and where
might I find out more about it?

Thanks in advance,


Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.