Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 9, 2011 1:19 AM

Wes Loewer

Re: [ap-calculus] Blind student

Bill,

Long, long ago, I wrote a graphing program (MS-DOS) that was used in a
number of schools. I received a letter from a teacher at a school for
the blind explaining that they were using my program with a special
"screen" in which each monochrome pixel was represented by a raised pin,
like Braille. The students could then feel the graph. (Her request was
a way to turn off all the labeling and extra information on the screen
which made it more difficult to feel.)

That was almost 20 years ago, so I'm sure they have even better
technology today. Many states have state schools for the blind. Try
contacting their math dept to see what they are doing.

When one of my colleagues taught physics to a blind student, he rigged
up a beeper to a mercury switch mounted on the balance scale for labs.

All the best,
-Wes Loewer
Rosslyn Academy
Nairobi, Kenya

On 10/8/2011 6:54 PM, Skerbie wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A colleague of mine is working with a blind student, and she asked me to
> see if any of you have any familiarity with technology (such as graphing
> calculators, etc.) for blind students. He has a calculator that will
> verbalize his entries and the output, but as far as I know, there are no
> graphing or statistical capabilities. I'm not exactly sure what
> we/she/he has in mind, but I just assumed that somebody on these lists
> probably has some experience with this sort of thing.
>
> Please reply and let me know if you'd be interested in corresponding
> with me/her about this particular student and his options.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

====
Course related websites: