Topic: Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)

Replies: 35   Last Post: Oct 24, 2011 9:59 PM

William McQuay

Re: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)

We are considering it as well. Have only reviewed the website and samples
that are posted. Was considering contacting a rep shortly.

Bill McQuay
Director of Mathematics and Science
Burnt Hills - Ballston Lake CSD
518-399-9141 X5013

nysmhs@mathforum.org writes:
>Just a clarification, by Singapore Math, I am referring to the "Math in
>Focus" program
>Thanks again!
>Terry
>

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------From:
>tgoldfischer@hotmail.com
>To: nysmmn@mathforum.org; nysmhs@mathforum.org; nysmsmath@mathforum.org
>CC: nyshsmath@mathforum.org; nyscollmath@mathforum.org;
>nyselmath@mathforum.org
>Subject: Question about Singapore Math
>Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:34:09 +0000
>

>Hi all,
>Our district its thinking about adopting Singapore Math for our K-6
>buildings.
>
>I would appreciate any thoughts regarding how it really is aligned to the
>Common Core; if any of your districts are currently using or thinking of
>using the program; and/or if there are any other programs worthy of
>investigating.
>
>Thank you all for any input you can provide.
>Terry
>

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------From:
>gfurman@ecs.k12.ny.us
>To: nysmhs@mathforum.org; nysmsmath@mathforum.org
>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 17:20:06 -0400
>Subject: Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
>(message for Tzippy)
>CC: nyshsmath@mathforum.org; nyscollmath@mathforum.org;
>nyselmath@mathforum.org; nysmmn@mathforum.org; nysmsmath@mathforum.org
>
>A teacher asked me about a problem in one of the math textbooks. Is there
>some rule that I am not aware of in the order of operations for
>multiplication and division from left to right?
>

>Here is the problem:
>

>40 ÷ 5(2)
>

>Does the two in parentheses imply that the multiplication is to be done
>first or is the problem done L to R with division first? One calculator
>had 4 for the answer and another had 16.
>

>Looking forward to your thoughts.
>

>Gary Furman
>Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction
>Ellenville Central School District
>845-647-0107

>*************************************************************************************************
>This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may contain information that is
>privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
>recipient, please be advised that any disclosure copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein
>is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please destroy all copies of the message, whether
>in electronic or hard copy format, as well as attachments, and immediately contact the sender by replying to this
>e-mail or by phoning.
>
>Please consider the environment before printing. GO GREEN !!!!!
*

Date Subject Author
9/9/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
JFish@csufsd.org
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tennantij@aol.com
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
MathCaryl@aol.com
9/10/11
Read Pre - GED Request
Robert Orchanian
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tennantij@aol.com
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
Roberta M. Eisenberg
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
loretta boyce
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
ElizWaite@aol.com
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for Tzippy)
Evan Romer
9/10/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Sharon
9/11/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
ElizWaite@aol.com
9/11/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Sharon
9/11/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tennantij@aol.com
9/13/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
gWilkie@highlands.com
9/13/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
Guest
9/14/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for Tzippy)
Gary Furman
9/14/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
loretta boyce
9/14/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
ezseller@mail.nasboces.org
9/15/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
CHaynes@cattlv.wnyric.org
9/14/11
Read RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
Putnick@siena.edu
9/14/11
Read RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
Susana Davidenko
9/15/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Sharon
9/15/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
Roberta M. Eisenberg
9/15/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tennantij@aol.com
9/17/11
Read RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message
for Tzippy)
bill wickes
9/17/11
Read Re: RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
steven arnofsky
9/14/11
Read Re: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored (message for
Tzippy)
Tom Kenyon
9/14/11
Read RE: Proposed changes in how 3-8 and Regents exams are scored
(message for Tzippy)
Kathleen_Curtis@pittsford.monroe.edu
10/23/11
Read Question about Singapore Math
terry goldfischer
10/23/11
Read RE: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)
terry goldfischer
10/23/11
Read Re: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)
William McQuay
10/24/11
Read Re: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)
Sharon
10/24/11
Read RE: Question about Singapore Math (Math in Focus)
Meg Clemens
10/24/11
Read Question about Math 3-8 tests
peter mechalke