Topic: NYS officially adopts Pathway
Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 25, 2011 8:19 AM

Dianne Gizowski

RE: NYS officially adopts Pathway
att1.html (9.5 K)

When we were at our Network Team Training in August, I asked the person who was doing the math part of the training about the vagueness. She said that there would be "more guidance coming out" for high school teachers. She did not elude to what that guidance would be or what timeline it might be on, but I am holding onto the idea that they are going to give us more information when they have it. Our next math portion of training in Albany is on November 30.

Dianne
________________________________
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Eleanor Pupko [epupko2@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 9:45 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: NYS officially adopts Pathway

I completely agree. I have never felt so at a loss about what I am supposed to be teaching and how it will be assessed.

Eleanor Pupko

________________________________
From: mclemens@twcny.rr.com
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 06:35:41 -0400

Could you also ask for clarification about topics that are included in the longer descriptions of each traditional course?

There is the long matrix which lists standards for the traditional pathway. This includes comments and modifications to the standards. For example, the standard for linear, quadratic and exponential curve fitting (Regression??? There is no mention of technology.) is in Algebra 1 with a comment for linear focus. This standard is never included in the other courses so does this mean quadratic and exponential curve fitting is not required ever?

After the long matrix, there is a description of each course with more comments on the standards. In Alg 2, log properties is suggested as well as the sum and difference trig identities, among other items. These topics are not listed on the matrix. Are they included in NYS?s version of each course?

I find the statistics standards to be particularly vague. In Alg 2, the standards seem to be describing confidence intervals and hypothesis testing but this wording is never used.

I find that idea that the standards are clear as written in the current format to be troubling. We definitely need more clarification.

Meg Clemens

Canton Central