Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

BJACOBY@teranews.com

Re: information theory?

On 11/1/2011 12:29 PM, RichD wrote:

> I read Shannon's paper long go, and found it fascinating
> ever since. In the most general sense, it's applicable
> to so many areas. For instance, people have recast
> thermodynamics as information processing. Or, you
> could model the entire universe as a computer, and
> information theory applies. It even describes human
> nature - manipulating symbols is what separates us
> from the apes.

Actually, Shannon's "paper" is a book. And the unfortunate part is that
physicists in particular for the most part have developed little
understanding of Shannon's association of information with entropy. This
one fact alone blows a huge hole in classical physics. Yet, (nearly) all
physicists go blindly on barfing the sad dogma of how entropy always
increases, how the universe is "running down" etc. etc. They know even
less about the relationships between signal processing and
Electromagnetic theory. They can't understand the transform
relationships between the amplitude of a wave in free space at one point
and it's far field angular expansion. They are snowed by self-inductance
because they haven't bothered to understand the nature of feedback
systems. In short they are stuck in ignorance and the past and have NO
desire to move out of it.

But the unfortunate facts are that information theory especially
combined with things like classical thermodynamics holds the key to
physics in the 21st century! And what exactly IS physics going to be in
the 21st century? I can tell you. It will be the physics of the things
that physics of today has so LOUDLY avoided. Namely, the physics of
life! The grass under my brick sidewalk is ALWAYS striving to take the
chaos of the dirt down there and turn it into ORDER! It insists on doing
this every year in spite of my best efforts to stop it! But still
"traditional" science pretends to move "forward" while ignoring the fact
that Shannon shot all their dogma to hell back in the MIDDLE of the the
20th century.

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney