The Math Forum

Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

Martin Brown

Re: information theory?

On 01/11/2011 17:29, RichD wrote:
> On Nov 1, Chris<chris.sant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you have a specific question? Or just want to lurk and learn?
>
> I'd like to lurk someplace, where there are discussions
> of current topics. It's such a rich field, there are always
> new ideas.
>

>> Information Theory was the hardest class I took in grad school. So
>> abstract, and so much probability.... but it's a cool topic
>> nonetheless.

> I read Shannon's paper long go, and found it fascinating
> ever since. In the most general sense, it's applicable
> to so many areas. For instance, people have recast
> thermodynamics as information processing. Or, you
> could model the entire universe as a computer, and
> information theory applies. It even describes human
> nature - manipulating symbols is what separates us
> from the apes.

You don't really say which part of information theory you are interested
in - but some of the more interesting modern developments stem from
Bayes theorem and the principle of maximum entropy.

You could do worse than look for the collected works of Ed Jaynes - it
used to be available online at one time but now it is published.

http://www.amazon.com/T-Jaynes-Probability-Statistics-Statistical/dp/0792302133

David MacKays book Information Theory, Inference and Learning might be a
cheaper alternative.

Not an easy read and assumes higher mathematics as a starting point.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney