Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

Chris

Re: information theory?

Be careful going down this path. For me it was much more interesting
in theory than in practice.

Me in 2008: "Like, what *is* the nature of information, man?" (waves
hand to clear smoke from the room)

Then I signed up for Info Theory, and I spent a whole semester taking
integrals of logs of probability distributions and proving that one
was bounded by the other.

On Nov 1, 1:29 pm, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 1, Chris <chris.sant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Do you have a specific question? Or just want to lurk and learn?
>
> I'd like to lurk someplace, where there are discussions
> of current topics.  It's such a rich field, there are always
> new ideas.
>

> > Information Theory was the hardest class I took in grad school. So
> > abstract, and so much probability.... but it's a cool topic
> > nonetheless.

> I read Shannon's paper long go, and found it fascinating
> ever since.  In the most general sense, it's applicable
> to so many areas.  For instance, people have recast
> thermodynamics as information processing.  Or, you
> could model the entire universe as a computer, and
> information theory applies.  It even describes human
> nature - manipulating symbols is what separates us
> from the apes.

> --
> Rich

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney