The Math Forum

Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

David Eather

Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)

On 2/11/2011 7:48 PM, JohnF wrote:
> In sci.math Martin Brown<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> [[snip]]
>> You could do worse than look for the collected works of Ed Jaynes - it
>> used to be available online at one time but now it is published.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/T-Jaynes-Probability-Statistics-Statistical/dp/0792302133

> Just curious -- if it was freely available online at one time,
> and I assume legally at that time, how does later publishing
> a paper copy retroactively affect online legality? I'd have
> assumed any originally-legal online info remains legal regardless
> of who else prints it on paper. Is that wrong?

It depends solely on the copyright status. How a work is distributed is
entirely at the discretion of the lawful owner of the copyright owner He
can for example offer a work free on-line for a a period of time and
then rescind that offer and the work is no longer available on-line for
free.

If the copyright owner surrenders their copyright on a piece of work,
for example by stating the piece of work is in the public domain, they
then cannot re-instate their copyright in anyway and the work remains
freely distributable in the public domain.

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney