The Math Forum

Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

BJACOBY@teranews.com

Re: information theory?

On 11/2/2011 1:51 PM, RichD wrote:

> I strongly suggest, if you have some
> free neurons and time and nothing's good on
> tv, read Shannon's original paper. It's
> utterly fucking brilliant. There's no doubt,
> in Valhalla, Shannon shares a table with Einstein.
>
> It's sort of funny, he called it communication
> theory, it was his disciples who popularized
> 'information theory'.

Not funny at all. He worked for Bell Telephone. Duh! And indeed the
original work DID have the major thrust of a theory of communication.
Later the breakthrough nature of his ideas were recognized as having
much wider general application in MANY at first seemingly unrelated
fields. Hence the name with a wider swath: Information theory.

And yes Shannon's ideas on information including those on Cryptography
(some probably still classified) definitely ARE "utterly fucking
brilliant"!

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney