The Math Forum

Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

Chris

Re: information theory?

On Nov 2, 2:51 pm, RichD <r_delaney2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, Chris <chris.sant...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Be careful going down this path. For me it was
> > much more interesting in theory than in practice.

> > Me in 2008: "Like, what *is* the nature of information,
> > man?" (waves hand to clear smoke from the room)

> > Then I signed up for Info Theory, and I spent
> > a whole semester taking integrals of logs of
> > probability distributions and proving that one
> > was bounded by the other.

> It's too bad you got so little out of it.
> It's not 'just a theory', it's a field
> where theory and practice coincide.
> The theorists concoct the recipes, the
> engineers follow the instructions, and
> it works, bang on.  Fukengrooven.
> And it's the root of many a Silly Con
> Valley fortune.
>
> I strongly suggest, if you have some
> free neurons and time and nothing's good on
> tv, read Shannon's original paper.  It's
> utterly fucking brilliant.  There's no doubt,
> in Valhalla, Shannon shares a table with Einstein.
>
> It's sort of funny, he called it communication
> theory, it was his disciples who popularized
> 'information theory'.
>
> --
> Rich

One of the coolest ideas I remember learning about is directed
divergence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kullback?Leibler_divergence

and being able to estimate how much it will cost you in bits if your
estimate of the underlying probability distribution of the information
you're trying to code wrong. I'd cite the fact that - even though I'm
not a super expert on all the topics - the fact that I can pick up
these topics again rather quickly as evidence that dipping my toes in
the field was worth it. School's not about becoming an expert - it's
about working the muscles so you can become an expert if you need to.

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney