Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

Rich Delaney

Re: information theory?

On Nov 2, VWWall <vw...@large.invalid> wrote:
> > I strongly suggest, if you have some
> > free neurons and time and nothing's good on
> > tv, read Shannon's original paper.  It's
> > utterly fucking brilliant.  There's no doubt,
> > in Valhalla, Shannon shares a table with Einstein.

> I was at Bell Labs in 1949, and Betty Moore, Claude
> Shannon's wife, worked in the same department.

Holy Methuselah, Batman! Did you get to shake
Abe Lincoln's hand, too?

> > It's sort of funny, he called it communication
> > theory, it was his disciples who popularized
> > 'information theory'.

> Shannon took a very practical outlook on "information".
> I recall how he would stop people in the halls and ask
> them to guess the next letter in a sentence he'd show
>them.  I remember one as: "A motorcycle has no
> reverse; it can not back up."  He used this method
> to determine the redundancy in the English language.

He estimated music contains 40 bits/second entropy.
How close is MP3 to that?

--
Rich

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney