Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

Peter Webb

Re: information theory?

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 04/11/2011 09:33, Peter Webb wrote:
>>

>> He estimated music contains 40 bits/second entropy.
>> How close is MP3 to that?
>>
>> ___________________________________
>> I doubt surprised Shannon said that, and if he did its somewhere between
>> meaningless and wrong.
>>

> If Shannon did make the statement attributed to him above (and I seriously
> doubt it) - I would like to see references.
>

>> CD quality mp3s are roughly equivalent to 178 kbps, over 4,000 times his
>> estimate. But then you can encode a lot of sounds that most people would
>> not consider music. And it stereo, so you can halve it if Shannon was
>> talking about mono.
>>
>> And how do you define music, except as sound? And random sound waveforms

> Have you never seen sheet music? That is what Shannon was estimating - the
> bitrate for describing music in the abstract. There are a finite number of
> notes, durations and amplitudes in a classical composition.

Far more plausible.

If you don't consider singing to be music.

> I suspect 40 bits/sec is still far too tight, but a midi stream using a
> high end reconstruction codec represents a pretty good example of what is
> possible by way of compression for *music* as opposed to voice or a random
> noise stream.

I wonder what Jimi Hendrix playing Star Spangled Banner would sound like as
a midi stream?

>> cannot be compressed on average at all. To get a smaller figure for
>> music, you have to define what subsets of sounds are music. Lots of luck.

> I think that may have been his intention although I don't actually recall
> seeing the 40 bit/s number originally attributed to him above.
>
> As I said if he did anything I think he was estimating the information
> content of music in the already concise form of an orchestral score.

= midi. A very plausible explanation, but one which requires a very limitted
definition of music.

>> The real number probably lies somewhere between 178 kbps and 40 bps. The
>> actual number is the base 2 logarithm of the number of different 1
>> second sound bites that the ear can distuingish and would consider as
>> music. I doubt even Shannon would have known the answer to that equation.

> Maybe he didn't consider all the alternative atonal and continuous
> frequency synthesisers of arbitrary waveforms that are possible now - or
> perhaps it was a subtle dig at Stockhausen and Schoenberg as not music.

Yeah, I was going to use a synthesiser as an example of an instrument that
couldn't be compressed, but then I realised that Shannon didn't have to
worry about digital synthesisers in his day.

> Be interesting if the reference to this paper can be found to see how he
> allocated those 40 bits/s....
>
> I reckon at a bare minimum about 7 to the note, 8 to amplitude, 6
> duration, 5 to the instrument - and it is already obvious that you cannot
> encode more than a single note per second at this bitrate.
>
> Can anyone provide a citation to this alleged paper on music bitrate?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney