The Math Forum

Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

BJACOBY@teranews.com

Re: information theory?

On 11/4/2011 5:31 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

> Have you never seen sheet music? That is what Shannon was estimating -
> the bitrate for describing music in the abstract. There are a finite
> number of notes, durations and amplitudes in a classical composition.
>
> I suspect 40 bits/sec is still far too tight, but a midi stream using a
> high end reconstruction codec represents a pretty good example of what
> is possible by way of compression for *music* as opposed to voice or a
> random noise stream.

Which is why we are talking about midi. Recording SOUND is a different
thing. Note that a cymbal crash is very close to white noise. This means
that exact reproduction allows for little compression. Of course all
music is not cymbal crashes (or usually so) which is where MP3 comes from.

> Be interesting if the reference to this paper can be found to see how he
> allocated those 40 bits/s....
>
> I reckon at a bare minimum about 7 to the note, 8 to amplitude, 6
> duration, 5 to the instrument - and it is already obvious that you
> cannot encode more than a single note per second at this bitrate.

Sorry NOT "obvious". You need to learn more about information theory!
Note that you have encoded ONE note but looking at sheet music one
observed that MANY notes are identical! Hence there is redundancy that
can be eliminated for compression.

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney