The Math Forum

Topic: information theory?
Replies: 83   Last Post: Dec 22, 2011 5:14 AM

jim

Re: information theory?

On Nov 6, 8:11 pm, jim <retnuh2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 5:08 pm, VWWall <vw...@large.invalid> wrote:
>

> > RichD wrote:

> > > It's too bad you got so little out of it.
> > > It's not 'just a theory', it's a field
> > > where theory and practice coincide.
> > > The theorists concoct the recipes, the
> > > engineers follow the instructions, and
> > > it works, bang on.  Fukengrooven.
> > > And it's the root of many a Silly Con
> > > Valley fortune.

> > > I strongly suggest, if you have some
> > > free neurons and time and nothing's good on
> > > tv, read Shannon's original paper.  It's
> > > utterly fucking brilliant.  There's no doubt,
> > > in Valhalla, Shannon shares a table with Einstein.

> > I was at Bell Labs in 1949, and Betty Moore, Claude Shannon's wife,
> > worked in the same department.  She complained that their new carpet
> > didn't have deep enough nap to hide the solder droppings from the
> > computer Claude was building.  It could perform math functions with its
> > input/output being in Roman numerals.

>   Well, but Bell Labs is why the people who really know how solder
> works
>   invented Artificial Satellites and Lasers, rather than transistors
> anyway,
>
>   And it's also why the people who know how i/o works, invented things
> other than Hz.

Which is mostly a way telling philosophers, that nobody ever
claimed
that simple machines don't work. Just that the people who know how
infrared really works invented self-replicating machines, since
that's
the way infrared really works. The people who know how Ultra Violet
really works
invented Lasers and Holograms, since that's the way UV really
works.
The people who know how Xrays really work, invented nanotechnology,
since that the way Xrays really work. The people who know how gamma
rays
really work invented GPS and Space Shuttles, since that's the way
gamma rays really work. The people who know how Digital really
works
invented USB and miniature atomic clocks, since that's the way
digital
really works. The people who know how radar really works, invented
optical networks, since that's the way radar really works.dd

> > > It's sort of funny, he called it communication
> > > theory, it was his disciples who popularized
> > > 'information theory'.

> > Shannon took a very practical outlook on "information".  I recall how
> > he would stop people in the halls and ask them to guess the next letter
> > in a sentence he'd show them.  I remember one as: "A motorcycle has no
> > reverse; it can not back up."  He used this method to determine the
> > redundancy in the English language.

> > Most of the time, he was riding his unicycle down the hall!
>
> > --
> > Virg Wall

Date Subject Author
10/31/11
Read information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Eric Jacobsen
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Chris
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
jim
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Cindy
11/1/11
Read Re: information theory?
BJACOBY@teranews.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Les Cargill
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
Andrew Haley
11/3/11
Read Re: information theory?
gdewilde@gmail.com
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
JohnF
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bernd Jendrissek
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
David Eather
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Bill Unruh
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
J. Clarke
11/24/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Martin Brown
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Richard Outerbridge
11/25/11
Read Re: information theory? (copyright question followup)
Les Cargill
11/2/11
Read Re: information theory?
Rich Delaney