Topic: A statement on what is wrong with standard calculus
Replies: 15   Last Post: Sep 21, 2004 11:26 AM

Jerry Uhl

Re: A statement on what is wrong with standard calculus

At 1:05 PM 1/31/22 +0000, nstahl@uwcmail.uwc.edu wrote:
For instance, we don't know that someone who doesn't
> know much algebra can learn much science.

Poincare and Einstein were very poor at algebra.
And Archimedes didn't know any.

And somecontemporary views:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute mathematics professor William Boyce and
co-author of the respected standard DiffEq textbook "Elementary
Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems (Wiley,1986) says this:

" A decrease in time spent on symbol manipulation by hand should provide an
opportunity for more emphasis on conceptual understanding . . . Details of
mathematical procedures and algorithms are rapidly forgotten unless they
are used frequently, but underlying concepts and ideas become a part of an
individual's mindset and are always available - or at least much less
likely to be lost than manipulative skills."

Stanford University electrical engineering professor Steve Boyd puts it
this way:
"I can't say too strongly how unimportant symbolic manipulation is in
engineering."

Stanford University electrical engineering professor and National Academy
of Engineering member, Tony Siegman says this:

" My current view would be: If Mathematica knows how to solve it
analytically, then I don't neeed to know how. Mathematica knows about
everything there is to know and if it doesn't know how to solve it
analytically, hell, it'll just solve it numerically. "

-Jerry Uhl

Jerry Uhl juhl@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Professor of Mathematics 1409 West Green Street
University of Illinois Urbana,Illinois 61801
Calculus&Mathematica Development Team
http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu

"It is unworthy of excellent persons to lose hours like slaves in the labor
of calculation."
. . . Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz