Replies: 17   Last Post: Nov 28, 2011 1:54 AM

On Nov 22, 7:48 pm, "Androcles" <Headmas...@Hogwarts.physics.November.
2011> wrote:
> "palsing" <pnals...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Nov 22, 9:26 am, "Androcles" <Headmas...@Hogwarts.physics.November.
> 2011> wrote:

> > "Pentcho Valev" <pva...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > | Let us assume that, as the photon travels through "empty" space (in a
> > | STATIC universe), it loses speed in much the same way that a golf ball
> > | loses speed due to the resistance of the air:

> > Rubbish! Photons are energy, they spread out over an ever-increasing area.
> > You need a big mirror to catch an old one.

> Depends on your definitions of 'big mirror' and 'old one'.
> I've seen the a and b components of Einstein's Cross, which is
> somewhere between 8 and 10 billion light years away in my 25" dob,
> under the excellent skies of west Texas.
> Your eyes aren't 25" across. You are catching 10 billion year old 25"
> wide photons with a big mirror and reducing them to pin points.
> Only you know what you mean by "excellent skies", it must be a
> local concept. How many skies does west Texas have, anyway?

25" wide photons? Really? I'll speculate that if everyone who believed
that were to be in the same room, you would be very lonely in there...

Agreed, only I know what I mean by "excellent skies"... but all my
astro-buddies would probably say that if you are going to see a couple
of components of Einstein's Cross, you had better have excellent