Topic: Double integration
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 6, 2011 12:42 PM

Roger Stafford

Re: Double integration

"Marcio Barbalho" <marciobarbalho@yahoo.com> wrote in message <jb8gd0$52k$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> firstint = int(sqrt((16*x*x+16*y*y-625)/(x*x+y*y-25)),y,0,sqrt(25-x^2))
I can't comment on your error messages, but I see that the form of your inner integral is that of an incomplete elliptic integral of the second kind, and this might be the cause of your difficulty performing symbolic integration.

You can always try numerical integration techniques. However, even though the integrand is actually integrable, you will have to deal appropriately with the singularity that occurs along the periphery of the circle, x^2+y^2=5^2, presumably by a change of variables.

Roger Stafford