The Math Forum

Replies: 3   Last Post: Jan 9, 2012 4:03 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: [math-learn] Re: Research on the Extent of Active Learning - Merbitz's PSI Plug

Hake, you offer quotations and anecdotes but have you ever really listened to your critics? I don't think you have nor do I think you understand their main argument against your methods. Your methods and measures of "learning" do not compare well with the results we get with students that aspire to these subjects. You claim that you can teach everyone a little bit of physics, better than the traditional methods can. Maybe you can, maybe you can't, but that is not the point of contention here. The purpose of the traditional methods was never to teach everyone a little bit of physics, it was to teach the aspiring physics students a lot of physics and to the same depth that we enjoy (those of us who have been successful in physics). Somewhere along your path, you have confused these two purposes. Mezur talks about the traditional physics student and their innate desire and drive to figure things out. That is the target of the traditional methods and always will be the target of traditional methods. When you take out the innate desire to figure things out then you really aren't talking about "teaching physics", not in the sense where teaching is the act of transferring mastery of the subject from the teacher to the student.

Your critics say that the aspiring physics student with that innate desire and drive to figure things out needs a curriculum rich with explanatory dialog. Indeed, when you have a class of students with those necessary desires the dialog tends towards lecture and explanation all by itself, naturally. But you do not address all of this. Instead you pepper us with datasets showing averages amongst everyone. You don't go to MIT or Harvard and have the students in one of your PER classes take the final exam in the traditional class and have the traditional class do the same. That would settle it pretty quickly, wouldn't it? I mean, we would get an immediate view of just how much physics is in physics and how much aspiring students are capable of. You and I both know what the outcome will be. The PER students will fail the traditional final exam while the traditional students will do well on both exams, assuming that each group at least did well on their respective exams.

I believe some of your methods have worth for students that have not caught the bug for this subject. But I don't think hey compare favorably at all with the methods used with the students that have. I have suggested many times that maybe your message would be better received if you made that distinction. That PER is not meant to get you into the physics club. Personal choice, aspiration, hard work, and yes, some talent will get you into the physics club. But if you want to teach some physics to the rest of the students that don't aspire to be in the physics club then some of the methods in PER are more realistic and might be enough of a trigger to propel some students into actual physics and the more demanding traditional treatment. Maybe they will find their aspiration.

But you have rejected that notion because (I believe) you have convoluted an academic issue with a social issue, and if you have learned anything through this experience, I hope that you have learned that you do neither of those issues justice when you convolute them.

Bob Hansen

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: