Topic: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Replies: 49   Last Post: Jan 13, 2012 2:37 PM

kirby urner

Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
> It one thing to say human (symbolic) abilities (and foibles) have not been replicated, and another to say humans do things clearly and fundamentally "non-computable". The latter would be earth shaking.
>
> Chess examples? Any chess problem is computable - but also the days of claiming any sort of superiority for man are drastically numbered.

I don't think it would be (earth shaking). It's what a lot of people
take for granted, and so far they have no reason to question in that
regard. Down the road maybe.

> Penrose did make an argument (essentially about computability) -- see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadows_of_the_Mind

Yes, and he's been through Portland a number of times, c/o ISEPP.org
(I've been on the board). I've caught him live. Good presenter,
quite smart with his audience. Glad I had the privilege. Haven't met
any computers that were nearly as engaging.

>>It's really quite easy to find results humans
>>have arrived at that no automaton has been
>>able to touch.

> So, what follows? There are no known counterexamples to Goldbach's conjecture - does that make it true?
>
> Joe N

Lets just say one may have a healthy respect for the quality of
intelligence humans bring to the equations, without being a computer
phobe or hating automation. Hugh Kenner is a hero of mine, in being a
truly gifted humanities / liberal arts professor ('The Pound Era' is
great writing), and author of a regular column for BYTE / McGraw-Hill
(a company I've worked with).

My elder daughter did a double major in computer science and theater
and I'm seeing more and more how that could be a good combo. Puppet
theater & OOP: a subject for Python.TV cartoons. "Math objects..."

Kirby

Date Subject Author
12/11/11
Read Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/12/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/12/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/12/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/15/11
[...]
12/16/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/16/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/16/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/16/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/17/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/17/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/17/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/18/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Wayne Bishop
12/18/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/18/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/23/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/23/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Wayne Bishop
12/24/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Louis Talman
12/23/11
[...]
12/25/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/25/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
1/13/12