Topic: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Replies: 49   Last Post: Jan 13, 2012 2:37 PM

Dan Christensen

Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)

> At 08:26 PM 12/17/2011, Dan Christensen wrote:
>

> >Do your "garden variety mathematical theories"
> include things like
> >number theory, abstract algebra and geometry? While
> designed as
> >primarily a learning aid, I see no reason that DC
> Proof could not be
> >used to generate most if not all of current
> mathematical theory --
> >that is, theories based on some underlying set, e.g.
> the set of
> >natural numbers in number theory, or the set of
> points in a plane for geometry.
> >
> >Download my DC Proof 2.0 freeware at

> http://www.dcproof.com
>
> I took a chance on infecting my computer and
> downloaded your program
> but I must be missing something. I couldn't see how
> to make it prove
> anything at all or even to verify a proof in, say,
> plane
> geometry.

The axioms for geometry and real numbers are not built into the DC Proof system. The numbers of axioms alone would overwhelm the beginner. For the axioms of geometry, see the work of Tarski or Hilbert. You can find a version of the axioms for the real numbers in the DC Proof/Samples directory.

Beware, though. In my experience, even elementary results in the Euclidean plane can quickly explode into proofs of several hundred, even thousands of lines. So, I really can't recommend geometry for the beginner just learning how to write mathematical proofs. Better to stick to logic, set theory, and elementary number theory, the axioms of which ARE built into DC Proof. (See "To the Educator" at my homepage.)

Dan
Download my DC Proof software at http://www.dcproof.com
Also see "The Barber Paradox Video."

Date Subject Author
12/11/11
Read Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/12/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/12/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/12/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/13/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/15/11
[...]
12/16/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/16/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/16/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/16/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/17/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/17/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/17/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/18/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Wayne Bishop
12/18/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Joe Niederberger
12/18/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
kirby urner
12/23/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/23/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Wayne Bishop
12/24/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Louis Talman
12/23/11
[...]
12/25/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
12/25/11
Read Re: Brainstorming about STEM (was About Functions)
Dan Christensen
1/13/12