Topic: Internet access during exams
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jan 6, 2012 11:00 PM

clay@claysturner.com

Re: Internet access during exams

On Jan 5, 5:40 pm, Rune Allnor <all...@tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
> Just a heads-up / warning for the regulars who answer
> questions and provide other help here:
>
> The Norwegian Ministry of Education is abut to test
> examinations where students have access to internet:
>
> http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/Skeptiske-til--bruke-Internet...
>
> (Haven't found an English version yet; no doubt some will
> pop up as soon the international news stations pick up on
> this lunacy.)
>
> As for now, there is a non-vanishing chance that there
> might pop up questions from students who need answers
> not for homework or projects, but for exams. The idea
> is insane enough to actually spread to other parts of
> the world, so beware; the answers you give here might
> be what get your next colleague his or her diploma...
>
> Rune

Rune, et al,

As one who teaches 1st year physics, I've already seen a lot of modes
of cheating. The kids will scan every prior question from the
homework, quizes and tests and what I worked out on the board (they
take pics with their camera phones) and have them in their smart
phones. This is certainly way more advanced for of cheating than
writing stuff on their wrists and feigning a need to go to the
restroom where they have strategically placed papers in the bathroom
trash can. And using cellphone jammers is illegal, so we can't use
that to block access to the internet. Even prisons can't get
permission to jam cellphones.

I find it kind of fun devising questions to force them to actually
think as opposed to regurgitating results. Sometimes when I make up
questions, I key it into google and adjust my wording so google's
results won't take you straight to the answer.

I recall one time teaching some kids scientific notation and they
lazily would put everything into their calculators and never learn how
to do the actual calculations. A few problems with 4 digit exponents
(too big for their TI-83 calculators) taught them what they really
needed to learn.

Today we have a problem (certainly here in the US - can't much speak
for elsewhere) where education is structured to spoon feed the
students and they end up not knowing how to do things for themselves -
it is really sad.

I find it fun to read my student's evaluations of me as they run the
typical gamut. One student strongly complained of my grading the
homework on accuracy! And sadly many of the comments aren't even
grammatically correct and yet these students are usually liberal arts
majors.

Clay