Topic: Internet access during exams
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jan 6, 2012 11:00 PM

Eric Jacobsen

Re: Internet access during exams

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 08:26:14 -0800 (PST), Clay <clay@claysturner.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 5, 5:40=A0pm, Rune Allnor <all...@tele.ntnu.no> wrote:
>> Just a heads-up / warning for the regulars who answer
>> questions and provide other help here:
>>
>> The Norwegian Ministry of Education is abut to test
>> examinations where students have access to internet:
>>
>> http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/Skeptiske-til--bruke-Internet...
>>
>> (Haven't found an English version yet; no doubt some will
>> pop up as soon the international news stations pick up on
>> this lunacy.)
>>
>> As for now, there is a non-vanishing chance that there
>> might pop up questions from students who need answers
>> not for homework or projects, but for exams. The idea
>> is insane enough to actually spread to other parts of
>> the world, so beware; the answers you give here might
>> be what get your next colleague his or her diploma...
>>
>> Rune

>Rune, et al,
>
>As one who teaches 1st year physics, I've already seen a lot of modes
>of cheating. The kids will scan every prior question from the
>homework, quizes and tests and what I worked out on the board (they
>take pics with their camera phones) and have them in their smart
>phones. This is certainly way more advanced for of cheating than
>writing stuff on their wrists and feigning a need to go to the
>restroom where they have strategically placed papers in the bathroom
>trash can. And using cellphone jammers is illegal, so we can't use
>that to block access to the internet. Even prisons can't get
>permission to jam cellphones.
>
>I find it kind of fun devising questions to force them to actually
>think as opposed to regurgitating results. Sometimes when I make up
>questions, I key it into google and adjust my wording so google's
>results won't take you straight to the answer.
>
>I recall one time teaching some kids scientific notation and they
>lazily would put everything into their calculators and never learn how
>to do the actual calculations. A few problems with 4 digit exponents
>(too big for their TI-83 calculators) taught them what they really
>needed to learn.
>
>Today we have a problem (certainly here in the US - can't much speak
>for elsewhere) where education is structured to spoon feed the
>students and they end up not knowing how to do things for themselves -
>it is really sad.
>
>I find it fun to read my student's evaluations of me as they run the
>typical gamut. One student strongly complained of my grading the
>homework on accuracy! And sadly many of the comments aren't even
>grammatically correct and yet these students are usually liberal arts
>majors.
>
>Clay

Somebody posted this on FB a while back so I snagged it:

http://ericjacobsen.org/pics/Math.jpg

Eric Jacobsen
Anchor Hill Communications
www.anchorhill.com