Topic: Internet access during exams
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jan 6, 2012 11:00 PM

glen herrmannsfeldt

Re: Internet access during exams

In comp.dsp Clay <clay@claysturner.com> wrote:

(snip)
> As one who teaches 1st year physics, I've already seen a lot of modes
> of cheating. The kids will scan every prior question from the
> homework, quizes and tests and what I worked out on the board (they
> take pics with their camera phones) and have them in their smart
> phones. This is certainly way more advanced for of cheating than
> writing stuff on their wrists and feigning a need to go to the
> restroom where they have strategically placed papers in the bathroom
> trash can. And using cellphone jammers is illegal, so we can't use
> that to block access to the internet. Even prisons can't get
> permission to jam cellphones.

I used to wonder about giving questions in different variables
than the formula in the book. If students understand the concept,
then letters should't matter.

A mass of s=3kg is accelerated by a force of t=9 Newtons,
what is the acceleration? Some will look for any forumula
with s and t, and plug in the values.

-- glen