Topic: Internet access during exams
Replies: 17   Last Post: Jan 6, 2012 11:00 PM

Richard Owlett

Re: Internet access during exams

Jerry Avins wrote:
> On 1/6/2012 10:32 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> Jerry Avins wrote:

>>> Ouch!
>>>
>>> Jerry

>> LOL!
>> Prior to my entering freshman class at Cornell, ALL engineering students
>> were required to take a surveying course. The object was to force
>> "pupils" {<> "students"} to use neither slide rules nor log tables for
>> closures (if they did closure error would be too large ;)

> You never saw a 10-foot slide rule! :-)

Snicker. All the one I saw over lecture hall blackboards
were Posts (IIRC).
I'd have much more faith in readability/precision of my K&E
slapping at my hip ;)
[P.S. How many youngsters recognize K&E? ;>!

> (Or a Curta: http://www.vcalc.net/cu.htm)

Never saw one of those. Suspect would have been as common as
an "Analytical Engine" in '61.