Topic: TRIVIUM
Replies: 5   Last Post: Dec 8, 1998 2:03 PM

Jerry Uhl

Re: TRIVIUM

At 8:57 AM +0000 12/7/98, MARJ@MTH.PDX.EDU wrote:
>We seem to so easily fall into the comfort of trashing high school
>teachers, rather than addressing questions perhaps more appropriate to
>this calc-reform nlestserv:

Right: There are lots wrong-minded university profs out there who blame
everyone but themselves for the mess university math in
Their refrain:
Students have poor study habits.
Students don't come to class.
Students don't read their texts.
Students drink too much.
High School teachers are terrible.
We are teaching well.

This reminds me of an old story about Joel Schultz, manager of the now
defunct Seattle Pilots baseball team. After losing a double header by
lopsided scores,SChultz told reporters," I managed good but they played
bad."

-Jerry Uhl

Jerry Uhl juhl@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Professor of Mathematics 1409 West Green Street
University of Illinois Urbana,Illinois 61801
Calculus&Mathematica, DiffEq&Mathematica, Matrices, Geometry&Mathematica

http://www-cm.math.uiuc.edu and http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu

All that is human must retrograde if it does not advance.
-----Edward Gibbon

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.