Topic: Factoring
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jan 16, 2012 8:23 PM

Pubkeybreaker

Re: Factoring

On Jan 8, 9:47 pm, "John Smith" <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "Peter Webb" <r.peter.webb...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Yes ok I guess I already had that at the back of my mind but was hoping to
> find some kind of procedure or algorithm for finding the answers to
> factoring problems which are likely to appear in current school text books.

Which "school" did you have in mind? If you mean "high school", then
the answer
is that you won't find it. If you mean "college", then yes, you can
find such
algorithms in college level textbooks. Knuth's "The Art of Computer
Programming"
vol 2 contains an excellent introduction to algorithms that are
certain to factor
any polynomial.

The mathematics involved in general polynomial factoring algorithms is
definitely
college-level.

Date Subject Author
1/8/12