Topic: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Replies: 50   Last Post: Jan 21, 2012 9:45 PM

Transfer Principle

Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts

On Jan 14, 7:33 am, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
wrote:
> Transition Zone wrote:
> > Worst of all, they deny the conclusions of those most experienced in
> > the field.

> That's the sort of thing one sees in sci.logic/sci.logic everyday.

And I, of course, am one of those sci.logic/sci.math posters whom
Williams sees doing that everyday.

A global warming thread on sci.math? Well, at least it's somewhat
related to math (the OP's commnents about what _fraction_ of the
planet is warming or cooling), but of course the AGW debate is a
highly politicized discussion.

As I've said before, I accept all mainstream scientific theories,
and since the existence of AGW is the mainstream scientific view,
I accept it.

So now one wonders, why do I accept the conclusions of those most
experienced in _science_, but not in _math_? It's because I see
science as describing the actual, but math as more abstract. If
one doesn't accept, say, standard quantifiers, or the statement
that exactly two of N,Q,R are the same size, then one should be
able to come up with an alternate theory -- an _abstraction_ --
where quantifiers don't exist or N,Q,R have other relationships
among their sizes. But coming up with an alternate abstract world
in which AGW doesn't exist does _nothing_ to address the problem
of AGW in the _real_, _physical_ world.

Professional mathematicians are experts in the theories in which
they are the most experienced. That says nothing about any
alternate abstract theories in which they aren't experienced. So
we shouldn't reject, say, nonstandard analysis merely because a
mathematician experienced in classical analysis tells us to.

Therefore, I reject Williams's analogy in which he compares us to
global warming deniers.

Date Subject Author
1/13/12
Read Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
BretCahill@peoplepc.com
1/13/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Transition Zone
1/13/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
1/14/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific
Facts
Frederick Williams
1/15/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Transfer Principle
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
1/20/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Errol
1/20/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
AGW Facts
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
1/14/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
BretCahill@peoplepc.com
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Dawlish
1/21/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
1/21/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Bret Cahill
1/13/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
1/13/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
bacle
1/21/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Ala
1/13/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
mikegordge@xtra.co.nz
1/13/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
bacle
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
tunderbar
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Bret Cahill
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Peter Webb
1/18/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Bret Cahill
1/19/12
[...]
alanmc95210@yahoo.com
1/21/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
R Kym Horsell
1/21/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
alanmc95210@yahoo.com
1/21/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
Bret Cahill
1/21/12
Read Re: Deniers Mangle Basic Logic Even Worse Than Isolated or Scientific Facts
bw
1/21/12