Topic: Seven Fanciful Views On How Do We Fix Our Schools
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 9, 2012 2:38 PM

kirby urner

Re: Seven Fanciful Views On How Do We Fix Our Schools

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Domenico Rosa <DRosa@post.edu> wrote:
> http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/hc-op-commentary-education-package-0115-20120115,0,4422883.story
>
> Seven Views: So How Do We Fix Our Schools?
> A cross-section of writers tackle the school reform question
>
> The Hartford Courant January 15, 2012

Yeah, I looked it over and didn't see anything too remarkable.

It's basic physics that giant inertial bodies can't turn on a dime.
Listening to "we must change" noises from the Borg Cube (TV allusion)
is always good for a chuckle.

On the brighter side, it looks like I'm renewing my Martian Math
contract and will be continuing to pump those memes out there, in
cahoots with OPDX etc.

The next hurdle: Dead Mathematicians Society or whatever it's called
is pondering my proposal to present in April, on the work of three
dead mathematicians, two of whom will likely be stricken from the list
as philosophers-in-disguise, leaving me with Karl Menger only.

I've posted about the tiny piece of his contribution I've used as a
puzzle piece in a math custom-tailored for animators / cartoonists /
claymation people. Karl called it his "geometry of lumps" which
immediately evokes clay-like images of "res extensa" (as Descartes
would have called it). Portland is sometimes known as ToonTown
because of the anime that goes on and the many toonists who've called
this home: Groening, Plympton, Callahan, Vinton and others.

I'll let you know how that goes (with the presentation).

University of Portland is on tap as a next venue as well, not counting
an appearance at Pycon, more a recruiting drive for more teachers than
a performing gig.

For those new to this list, I'm like this circus clown lobbyist for
some experimental curricula in need of more pilots and yes, eventually
whole schools (some boarding).

I say "circus clown" because of the freakish company I keep and its
sometimes hilarious characters. One of our andragogy guys climbed a
tree the other day and stopped traffic. That's the OPDX side of the
family.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/6682357517/in/photostream
(Blue House fellow)

Anyway, more in my blogs as usual.