Replies: 50   Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 8:17 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
att1.html (11.6 K)

Jerry said...

"The system is failing also students who do try, and try hard. I have
seen many of them."

I think that is certainly worth a discussion. But if you mean that they try and try and try and just don't get it, why does that mean the system or the teacher failed? And yes, I have seen them also (I tutored), and my recollection was (other than sympathy) that this was an issue of ability. Like not being able to throw a baseball properly, no matter how hard they tried. I have not seen in all my experience any method, traditional or not, that can surmount what just isn't there. And I don't think that is being disparaging to the student at all. Has there not been anything you have tried to do (well) and just couldn't?

Why is this a topic of pedagogy and not simply a discussion of how people are different?

But to make clear where I stand in terms of public school, I believe that there should be ramps and a student should be allowed to spend as much time on those ramps as they need (within the confines of high school) trying to make it into the subjects. I believe that students should be allowed to try, but I do not think that should take place during AP Physics. That isn't good for anyone, except the people making money off of AP Physics exams. There should be classes that are preparatory in nature, maybe off the beaten path, where students can work on their skills but they still have to make the grade and if they can't make the grade I don't think lying to them helps.

Bob Hansen

On Jan 22, 2012, at 11:26 PM, Jerome Epstein wrote:

> The system is failing also students who do try, and try hard. I have
> seen many of them.

Date Subject Author
1/22/12
Read [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Richard Hake
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
timotha@comcast.net
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/25/12
[...]
1/26/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/26/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI --where from here?
Jerry Epstein