Replies: 50   Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 8:17 PM

Jerry Epstein

Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
att1.html (12.2 K)

The Chinese students of course do not take AP tests, and the classes I
am referring to are university classes.
Similarly, the large pool of IE data from U of Michigan is. . . well. .
. university, so not AP.

I am not familiar with any high school classes in calculus that use a
strongly or totally IE approach, that would allow testing the effect of
the teaching method on AP results.

I would also emphasize that the testing we have done was specifically
designed to test only conceptual understanding, not procedural knowledge
(low level formulaic tasks) nor problem solving. The AP test, to the
best of my knowledge also has a great deal of low level skill based
material, so I don't know any way to make a comparison on the basis of
the AP test.

I have never claimed that the kind of approach I am suggesting produces
better results on, calculating derivatives -- skills that my test does
not measure. . . .

JE

On 1/23/2012 8:43 PM, Robert Hansen wrote:

> It seems that we are getting somewhere Jerry. If these comparisons you
> make between IE classes and noted Chinese performances are accurate
> then we are talking 5's across the board in AP Calculus with maybe a
> few 4's. It would help me a great deal in qualifying the successes you
> and John speak of if you could point me to these schools and the IE
> classes therein to witness the curriculum and the performance you
> claim. I have loads of data on Chinese students, in Shanghai and here.
> All I need now to complete this puzzle are these classes you speak of.
> The AP data should be a cinch since schools normally publish stellar
> results like that and top performing calculus students would take
> nothing but AP calculus (BC in fact), if not simply for the challenge,
> for the easy college credit.
>
> Bob Hansen
>
> On Jan 23, 2012, at 6:10 PM, Jerome Epstein wrote:
>

> > The most recent work is that students in
> > China show gain at the same level as the Interactive-Engagement

> students
> > in the West.

Date Subject Author
1/22/12
Read [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Richard Hake
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
timotha@comcast.net
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/25/12
[...]
1/26/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/26/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI --where from here?
Jerry Epstein