Replies: 50   Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 8:17 PM

John Clement

RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
att1.html (12.3 K)

Again, I ask, why not try some of the evaluations which have been mentioned?
Find some data for yourself in your own class. Look for correlations
yourself. Anyone can do action research! Can you get colleagues to give
some of these tests and report the answers. Without the ability to use some
standard measures across many classes one is flying blind. All you have is
observational information which in medical circles is not considered
completely reliable. It is only an indication of what might be going on,
not what is actually going on.

The more educators who engage in action research, the more information we
can accumulate. It takes a lot of effort by teams of people to get results
from just one school. Lillian McDermott did it with a lot of help. Others
are doing it, so why not join in the effort of getting the necessary data.
It is easy to be a critic, and much harder to enquire.

People have said we get good results on the FCI by telling students the
answers. But I know that in the standard course students are told the
answers. I have seen this, and just telling the answers doesn't do the job.
So giving one of these concept inventories might be revelation, or it might
not. But you don't know until you try it.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

> When you or Jerry can provide this data (which is all I was
> asking for) then I will take a look. Without a full head to
> head comparison you are still very much in the theoretical
> and predicting mode. It would seem that your next task would
> simply be to find an AP class that isn't doing so well and
> convince them to go IE and then show off their stellar AP
> scores. Otherwise you will continue to be running rouge like this.
>
> You and I seem to agree on just about everything it takes to
> be truly successful in these (hard) subjects and the level of
> thinking required. Where that agreement seems to break down
> is that all of the successful ones I know can blow away these
> big exams. There are some outliers. Exceptions to that rule.
> But not generally.
>
> Bob Hansen
>
> On Jan 24, 2012, at 1:16 PM, John Clement wrote:
>

> > Concept inventories are usually validated by free response
> > and also by interview protocols.

Date Subject Author
1/22/12
Read [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Richard Hake
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
[...]
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
timotha@comcast.net
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/25/12
[...]
1/26/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/26/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI --where from here?
Jerry Epstein