Replies: 50   Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 8:17 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
att1.html (11.0 K)

And my point is simply that since it isn't a comprehensive assessment of Calculus then it cannot be used to compare the effectiveness of IE to non IE classes. The only way to make a useful comparison between IE and non IE is to use a comprehensive exam. There is a lot more to owning calculus (or physics) than owning an inventory of basic principles. My impression of IE is that it works better in first year terminal classes than traditional methods that are geared toward full ownership. In other words, if someone is trying to be a nurse but has to take calculus (because the college says so) as their last ever math class, then IE might be a useful alternative to a real calculus class that is geared towards students that actually need and use calculus.

Bob Hansen

On Jan 25, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Jerome Epstein wrote:

> There is no claim that the CCI is a comprehensive test of ability or
> skill in calculus. It is no replacement for a final exam. All questions
> are designed as Conceptual Understanding, and only of the most basic
> principles of Calculus I.

Date Subject Author
1/22/12
Read [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Richard Hake
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
timotha@comcast.net
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/25/12
[...]
1/26/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/26/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI --where from here?
Jerry Epstein