Replies: 50   Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 8:17 PM

Jerry Epstein

Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
att1.html (11.7 K)

I submit that the CCI, like the FCI, can be used as a clear comparison
tool for teaching methods, but it is not designed to test all the
concepts and techniques that are used in a calculus course. Only a
subset. I submit that it is a critically important subset that is
usually NOT tested, but it does not pretend to test everything that a
student must learn in calculus.

Jerry E

On 1/25/2012 6:53 AM, Robert Hansen wrote:

> And my point is simply that since it isn't a comprehensive assessment
> of Calculus then it cannot be used to compare the effectiveness of IE
> to non IE classes. The only way to make a useful comparison between IE
> and non IE is to use a comprehensive exam. There is a lot more to
> owning calculus (or physics) than owning an inventory of basic
> principles. My impression of IE is that it works better in first year
> terminal classes than traditional methods that are geared toward full
> ownership. In other words, if someone is trying to be a nurse but has
> to take calculus (because the college says so) as their last ever math
> class, then IE might be a useful alternative to a real calculus class
> that is geared towards students that actually need and use calculus.
>
> Bob Hansen
>
> On Jan 25, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Jerome Epstein wrote:
>

> > There is no claim that the CCI is a comprehensive test of ability or
> > skill in calculus. It is no replacement for a final exam. All questions
> > are designed as Conceptual Understanding, and only of the most basic
> > principles of Calculus I.

Date Subject Author
1/22/12
Read [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Richard Hake
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
timotha@comcast.net
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/25/12
[...]
1/26/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/26/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI --where from here?
Jerry Epstein