Replies: 50   Last Post: Jan 27, 2012 8:17 PM

Jerry Epstein

Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
att1.html (12.6 K)

This is the norm, though still so many faculty are ignorant of the reality.

All of the items on the CCI should be readily accessible to a student
who passed a semester of calculus with a moderate understanding.
The normalized gain in a semester of calculus runs from 0.05 to about
0.25 with an average of about 0.15. Interactive Engagement classes (the
largest population being University of Michigan) are a completely
disjoint set of scores, running from about 0.25 to about 0.45.

On the BSDT, all of which should be accomplishable by a competent 10th
grader, half the test by a competent 8th grader, only a small fraction
is understood by college freshmen.

Jerry E

On 1/25/2012 9:00 AM, John Clement wrote:

> I find this to be a bit funny, because I have seen so many students
> who have
> gone through a first year traditional calculus course and can't use it.
> They can't write a simple integral nor a simple algebraic equation. My son
> got good grades in calculus, but still didn't seem to understand it. As a
> result he couldn't apply it. He could do the mechanics, but not much else.
> What is even worse I have seen students who passed calculus, but still
> didn't exhibit the ability to do proportional reasoning. And the type of
> courses they passed were all traditional using traditional texts.
>
> They simply did not understand the concepts behind Calculus. They could
> sometimes recognize the name of a math principle, but recognizing that
> they
> needed to use it did not seem to happen.
>
> John M. Clement
> Houston, TX
>

> > And my point is simply that since it isn't a comprehensive
> > assessment of Calculus then it cannot be used to compare the
> > effectiveness of IE to non IE classes. The only way to make a
> > useful comparison between IE and non IE is to use a
> > comprehensive exam. There is a lot more to owning calculus
> > (or physics) than owning an inventory of basic principles. My
> > impression of IE is that it works better in first year
> > terminal classes than traditional methods that are geared
> > toward full ownership. In other words, if someone is trying
> > to be a nurse but has to take calculus (because the college
> > says so) as their last ever math class, then IE might be a
> > useful alternative to a real calculus class that is geared
> > towards students that actually need and use calculus.

Date Subject Author
1/22/12
Read [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Richard Hake
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] Re: FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/22/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/23/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Jerry Epstein
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Robert Hansen
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/24/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
timotha@comcast.net
1/24/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/25/12
[...]
1/26/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/26/12
Read RE: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
John Clement
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI in China #2
Ed Wall
1/27/12
Read Re: [math-learn] FCI and CCI --where from here?
Jerry Epstein