Topic: Defining the derivative
Replies: 29   Last Post: Aug 29, 2000 11:55 PM

Lisa Murphy

Re: Defining the derivative

I'm afraid I've been misunderstood. I don't mean that the first mention of
rate of change is going to be a limit definition. I mean that when you do
develop a limit definition, I'd like to know which one you use and why. Of
course, if you never get to any limit defintion at all, then the question
does not apply.

BTW, in response to the suggestion (I forget from whom) that I present one
form of the definition and ask the students to work out the other, I'm not
in the habit of presenting either one. My recent practice has been to get
the students to develop one of the limit definitions. For my dissertation
work, I was shepherding volunteers through that process and discovered that
their text used the other form, which was an unanticipated change from when
I planned the project. This made me think about the difference between the
two definitions and led me to wonder what, if any, difference it makes to
student understanding. That's the source of the question.

Lisa

----------
>From: LnMcmullin@AOL.COM
>To: ldmurphy@students.uiuc.edu, calc-reform@e-math.ams.org
>Subject: Re: Defining the derivative
>Date: Mon, Jun 5, 2000, 6:10 PM
>

> In a message dated 6/5/00 15:31:16 Eastern Daylight Time,
> ldmurphy@students.uiuc.edu writes:
>
> <<
> Which do you think is the better place to start, and why?
>
> Lisa
>

> Neither. Get a hold of the Hughes-Hallett calculus book and read Chapter 2.
> That's the way to start. IMHO
>
> Lin McMullin
> Ft. Collins, Colorado

> send mail to:
>
> majordomo@ams.org
>
> with the following in the message body:
>
> unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address
>

> -Information on the subject line is disregarded.

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.

Date Subject Author
6/5/00
Read Defining the derivative
Lisa Murphy
6/5/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
LnMcmullin@aol.com
6/6/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Lisa Murphy
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Richard J Maher
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Ramo
8/28/00
Read Famous People who majored in mathematics
Richard J Maher
8/28/00
Read Re: Famous People who majored in mathematics
Larry Husch
8/29/00
Read Re: Famous People who majored in mathematics
Dave Slomer
8/29/00
Read Re: Famous People who majored in mathematics
John H Gresham
8/29/00
Read Re: Famous People who majored in mathematics
Victor Steinbok
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Martin Flashman
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/8/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
martha a green
6/8/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
holdenerj@kenyon.edu
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/11/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
holdenerj@kenyon.edu
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/10/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/11/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/11/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/12/00
Read Standards for Instruction and Learning.
Martin Flashman
6/18/00
Read Standards for Instruction and Learning.
Kirby Urner