Topic: Defining the derivative
Replies: 29   Last Post: Aug 29, 2000 11:55 PM

Leonard Thomas

Re: Defining the derivative

>On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Leonard Thomas wrote:
>

>> 100% of course, EVERYBODY, it is the law. For me, on job
>> applications where they ask "Did you graduate high school", it is
>> ridiculous. EVERYONE graduates high school in my country. AND they
>> cannot graduate without passing tests in all subjects, most
>> important are tests in literature (writting) and Mathematics which are
>> supplied on the day of testing by the Department of Education. Not
>> even the teachers know the questions untill 30 minutes before the exam.
>> There are no multiple choice questions. Mathematics includes
>> theoretical questions requiring proofs. EVERY student is taught to
>> answer these questions.
>>
>> Olga Miller
>>

> Well, it looks all nice and pretty on paper (or on a computer
>screen :-), but in real life it isn't that rosy over there either.
>While the textbooks are much better, the good mathematics teachers
>are rare,

I am not agree that the good mathematics teachers are rare. I do not
know where you lived, Michael, when, how old are you. But I graduated
from high school in Lviv, West Ukraine, and I had excellent teachers
(1945-57). At lviv State University I had also great professors, like
Lopatinskiy, his lectures (differential equations) were so excellent
that all student felt in love. In Moscow, I attended lectures of
professor Havinson (functional analysis and complex functions theory,
1983). It was outstanding. Naturaly, in our country we have some weak
students, and not every teacher is excellent teacher. Average level
of teaching and knowledge of students in Ukraine is far above the US.
The US has many good teachers, but the educational systems doesn't
provide the possibility to teach on a level like is taught in our
schools.

>the teachers in general are overworked and underpaid, the
>students in the teachers colleges are rather weak,

Yes, you are correct. Our teachers are overworked and underpaid, and
now they even do not receive their salary on time (it is shame for our
government), and despite that they work like mules. They try to teach
excellent. And most of them do it. They are very proud to be
teachers. And they are respected by students.

>the HS students are not that keen on math either,

I can agree that some students in Ukraine are like American students.
But most of them know mathematics much better.

>cheating and corruption are common.

This is Leonard Thomas, Olga's husband. I wanted to pass along a new
report I heard on NPR concerning cheating in our nation's capitol.
Elementary school teachers were reported by the students for
assisting them in answering questions on evaluation testing. Two
possible reasons are jobs for the teachers and money for the
schools. Teachers may be being pressured into cheating by
administrators who want better results than can be attained
honestly. After citing some other examples of cheating by teachers,
an interviewie expressed opinions as to these pressures on teachers.

>How do I know? I lived there for 25 years, my father taught math at
>HS and at a teachers college.
>And these exam problems? Some of the
>math teachers can't solve them, go figure.

Many of the students can solve these problems. Go figure.

> --Michael

> send mail to:
>
> majordomo@ams.org
>
> with the following in the message body:
>
> unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address
>

>-Information on the subject line is disregarded.

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.

Date Subject Author
6/5/00
Read Defining the derivative
Lisa Murphy
6/5/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
LnMcmullin@aol.com
6/6/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Lisa Murphy
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Richard J Maher
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Ramo
8/28/00
Read Famous People who majored in mathematics
Richard J Maher
8/28/00
Read Re: Famous People who majored in mathematics
Larry Husch
8/29/00
Read Re: Famous People who majored in mathematics
Dave Slomer
8/29/00
Read Re: Famous People who majored in mathematics
John H Gresham
8/29/00
Read Re: Famous People who majored in mathematics
Victor Steinbok
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Martin Flashman
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/7/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/8/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
martha a green
6/8/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
me@talmanl1.mscd.edu
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
holdenerj@kenyon.edu
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/11/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
holdenerj@kenyon.edu
6/9/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/10/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Michael Livshits
6/11/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/11/00
Read Re: Defining the derivative
Leonard Thomas
6/12/00
Read Standards for Instruction and Learning.
Martin Flashman
6/18/00
Read Standards for Instruction and Learning.
Kirby Urner