Topic: max min problems
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 25, 2001 9:49 AM

Bill Bauldry

Re: max min problems

On 10/25/01 8:58 AM, "Rex Boggs" <rboggs@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> We are currently doing max-min problems using derivatives, and I am noticing
> how unrealistic, trivial or pointless many of the traditional questions are,
> e.g. inscribing shape A into shape B so as to maximise its area or volume,
> designing a running track so the area it encloses is a maximum, building
> chicken pens against barns and rivers, etc.
>
> Are there some max-min problems out there that are more realistic and more
> interesting than these?

One of my favorites is just a step above the standard 'walk on the shore,
swim through the water' problem. Why I like it so much is that one of my
students (a few years ago, as you can tell from the dates) showed the
problem to his father who said, "We just did that project at work!" It's
from a book Joe Fiedler and I did a while ago, "Calculus Projects with
Maple;" we called it the "Otsego Electric Company." Look at
http://www.mathsci.appstate.edu/~wmcb/Class/Projects/OEC/
for the description.

Bill

======================================
Wm C Bauldry, PhD
Professor and Chairperson
Department of Mathematical Sciences
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608-2092
phone: (828) 262-3050
fax: (828) 265-8617
mailto://BauldryWC@appstate.edu
http://www.mathsci.appstate.edu/~wmcb/
send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.