The Math Forum

Topic: Re: max min problems
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 26, 2001 6:49 PM

Rex Boggs

Re: max min problems

From: "SANTU DESILVA" <desilva@lycoming.edu>
> While I'm sympathetic to the goal of finding so-called
> interesting problems, Rex's example is hardly an
> improvement on the textbook variety! <grin>

Agree, that's why I asked for others.

> If the idea is to give them a problem where the
> objective function or the constraint needs to
> be constructed with some creativity, it has to
> be realized that, yes, these are interesting, but
> they're not learning "calculus" per se, they're
> learning creativity. What do we really want?

Our course in Queensland is Maths (which includes an introduction to
Calculus). Maybe this makes our perspective different - as it is NOT just a
calculus course, we are just as interested in students learning creativity
as learning calculus.

One of the themes in our syllabus is Mathematical Modelling, so we tend to
approach max-min questions from a modelling perspective. Now there is no
point in modelling a situation that doesn't have some semblance to reality,
which is why I am constantly on the scout for 'real' problems.

Cheers

Rex

send mail to:

majordomo@ams.org

with the following in the message body:

unsubscribe calc-reform your_email_address

-Information on the subject line is disregarded.