Topic: conjecture on sums of primes
Replies: 13   Last Post: Apr 18, 2013 12:45 AM

Richard Tobin

Re: conjecture on sums of primes

In article <8faccb56-a966-4767-b7c2-206e11a6e7da@o14g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,
Paul <pepstein5@gmail.com> wrote:

>Your graph is interesting, but it may be possible to show that
>Goldbach's Comet can mislead the intuition.
>For example, if there is a very large x (say > 10^18) which can be
>expressed as the sum of two primes in very few ways (for example < 10
>ways), then the limitations of such graphs would be shown.

Though Goldbach's conjecture has been verified up to about that number,
I don't of anyone hving calculated the number of ways anything like that
far.

>Does anyone know of any large near counter-examples to Goldbach's
>conjecture?

I have not heard that there are any.

>For example, what's the largest known even number that
>can be expressed as the sum of two primes in only 1 way?

As far as I know, 12.

-- Richard