The Math Forum

Topic: Finland
Replies: 52   Last Post: Feb 20, 2012 3:22 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Finland

At 06:26 AM 2/15/2012, Haim wrote in response to:
>Paul A. Tanner, III Posted: Feb 15, 2012 7:29 AM
>

> > It's one thing
> >to promote that government should do this and that, but
> >it's another thing to actually be willing to pay for it.)

> You are, of course, speaking for yourself. I am against
> "special programs" for the gifted. It costs no extra money to give
> a 3rd grade child a 4th grade textbook or even to <GASP!> put him
> into a 4th grade class.

Our second son was the reason we dropped out of Pasadena's public
schools (about 30,000 students at the time) when, near the end of 1st
grade, we were called in and advised by the principal that, "He needs
a peer group." That is, in a district of that size, it was
politically impossible to meet the needs of academically gifted
students. At that point, my wife won a long-running argument and we
moved to a private school (that was much closer to our home). That
was the beginning of 2nd grade but, within a month or so, we got a
call asking if we would give them permission to move him to 3rd,
unusual for the school but, in hindsight, perfect for him. He is now
chairman of chemistry and biochemistry at Amherst College.

Wayne

Date Subject Author
2/12/12
Read Re: Finland