Topic: Help--which platform to purchase Mathematica for?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 7, 1996 3:58 AM

Sinan Karasu

Re: Help--which platform to purchase Mathematica for?

In article <4tphdu$kl3@dragonfly.wolfram.com>,
Jim Mashek <mashek@nwu.edu> wrote:
>Hello--
>
>My research lab will soon obtain our first copy of Mathematica.
>However, we are unsure of which platform to run the program on--
>we have available a Macintosh 7100/66 and a Sun Ultra 1/140.
>
>I know that my Sun is faster than the Mac (looked at the speed
>comparison web page), but I'm not very familiar with how the
>program feels on the two platforms. If anyone could offer opinions
>regarding, for example, how user-friendly the two interfaces are,
>I'd greatly appreciate it. All opinions are welcome.
>
>Thank you.
>
>--
>Jim Mashek
>mashek@nwu.edu

I would definitely go with the Solaris version. I have
a Sparc 20 and a Mac 840AV at home. I have Mathematica on
both machines. I got sick and tired of running out of memory
on the Mac (24 MB RAM and 1 GB disk) when I was doing long
(sometimes many many hours computations) I finally gave
up using it on the Mac. Good virtual memory/swapping
subsystem makes all the difference.

Sinan

--
Redistribution by Microsoft Network is prohibited.