Topic: Courseware for Biophysics?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Aug 7, 1996 3:57 AM

richard j. gaylord

Re: Courseware for Biophysics?

In article <4tphp6$kl3@dragonfly.wolfram.com>, Paul Abbott
<paul@physics.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> My colleagues and I are interested in finding what Mathematica courseware
> is available for Biophysics. In particular, we are teaching a new
> Biophysics computational course and are developing modules on topics
> such as
>
> o Vibration: Eigenvalues and normal modes
> o Potential energy minimization & molecular conformation
> o Matrix methods, L-systems, and fractal plants
> o population dynamics
> o Fourier analysis
> o The action potential
>
> We have searched through MathSource without finding too much of direct
> interest. Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, pointers to appropriate
> extant courseware is of interest.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

hi paul:

if your interested in population dynamics in biological systems,check out
the latest Mathematica in Education and Research issue for an article by
kazume nishidate and myself on a cellular automata model of population
dynamics of predator-prey ecosystems.

note: my new cellular automata modeling book is about 50% focueed on
biological systems [the other half is on physics, chemistry, materials,
social systems]. this book is due out from TELOS/Springer-Verlag on august
22 (I'll post an announcement here when I receive my own copy of the book).

--
"if you're not programming functionally, then you're programming dysfunctionally"